Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 3-Made it to the Cookie Lady!



Paul and June Curry-The Cookie Lady
She said: Took an 8 mile bike ride around Mineral before heading out. Paul left about 6:45, I left at 8:30 and we met up at a small restaurant (not on purpose) for my coffee, Paul's Gatorade and crackers. The landscape started to change dramatically approaching Charlottesville (home of UVA) as the mountains appeared in the distance. The weather forecast for the area was for afternoon thunderstorms, so we weren't sure where we would stop for the day. It looked ok when we met in Charlottesville around 11:30, so Paul decided to push on to Afton. Afton (home of the Cookie Lady-and saint to bike riders) is partway up the start of the first big push into the Appalachians. He was happy to get here instead of having to do all of that tomorrow. I stopped at a peach orchard and ate a delicious donut peach fresh off the tree. Paul pulled in and had ice cream (see pictures below). The bike house in Afton is unbelievable-every wall is covered with post cards, notes, and bicycle memorabilia from 33 years of bikers stopping here. I don't think the pictures will really capture it, but I tried!
He Said: Kept seeing these signs on the newspaper boxes for the Daily Progress, thought it was appropriate. Also saw another live snake-good size ones. Got chased by my first two dogs, and I'm not even in Kentucky yet! The first one was pretty old-I could see his hearing aid-and he still almost caught me. The second one was younger, but noisier, so I had a head start. More beautiful country. The ride today was a lot like home-up and down, up and down, except at the end when it was all up as I got in to Afton. On the way in to Charlottesville a nice guy named Cody passed me going down hill. I caught up to him, and I think I just drafted off him. That's the first time I've ever done that. It was much easier peddling with someone right in front of you. Too bad he wasn't going to Afton. Then we met the Cookie Lady. What a great lady, great stories, and more southern hospitality. Why are the people in the South friendlier than the people in the North? Or shouldn't I generalize? Weather has been ok-90's and humid, but now that we are getting up there-supposedly the humnidity should drop. Just got off the phone with my friend Steve V from home, who's been looking after work for me. He told me to enjoy myself and not worry about anything at home-I assured him I wasn't! Thanks Steve. 82 miles today.
Appalachians in the distance

Eating ice cream before the last push to Afton


In the bike house

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that the weather has been good to you so far. The kids and I are really enjoying following the blog. We are getting a map becasue they want to follow your travels. They were wondering how many miles a day Aunt Sharon was biking, but we found out today! Here's hoping for safe travels, beautiful scenery and lots of rest in between!!! We love you!

    ReplyDelete