Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 8-And more rain-Almost to Rosedale-Kentucky or bust

He said: Day started great with the sun at my back and a downhill ride. I had 25 miles in by breakfast-that's the good part. Rode through downpours 3 times to get the next 30 miles before calling it a day. No pictures, no sun. Big riding day tomorrow if we want to reach our camping destination. 55 miles.
She said: The day started with the promise of being super. Met for a nice breakfast in Damascus and then the skies opened up. Paul rode through the downpour, I found him waiting at a little General Store soaking wet. We took a ride to a little bakery in Lebanon, Va. and checked out weather.com-it looked promising for a few hours of clear skies, so back to where we had left off, when it started raining again, we stopped at the Hayters Gap library. Karen the branch manager was delightful-we had a nice visit and Paul took off again. For all you Trans-Am riders-the library there is newly renovated and Karen is terrific. I rode ahead - 4 miles of switchbacks straight up the mountain. I found a place to pull over to make sure it didn't start pouring for his ride up. Somehow he snuck by me while I was waiting-when the skies opened again-back down the mountain I went looking for him. After a few frantic phone calls on my part (bad cell service in the mountains), and calm ones on Paul's part, I learned he was about 10 miles down the road on the other side of the mountain. Soaked to the bone, and with no hotels on route-we took a ride 7 miles off route to find a place to stay. Being the purist he is, I will deliver him back to where we ended the day and take off again tomorrow-if the weather cooperates we should make it to Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment