Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 5-Longest day yet-Christiansburg,Va

She said: I've been entering my stuff first, so the weary peddler can just dictate without influencing my entry. I worked the whole morning, so Paul got quite a head start and I met up with him after 70 miles or so. Gave him fresh drinks and we agreed to meet in Christiansburg. The last 25 miles or so were through a beautiful valley with lots of farms and the mountains on either side. I don't think I quite captured it on film. My giggle for the day was passing a Chicken Crossing sign-there was no place to pull over and get a picture though. I work for a non-profit organization "The Last Greeen Valley". We are stewards of the only dark spot on an evening satellite image of the east coast from Boston to Washington. Riding through these beautiful mountains reminds me that there are places in our country that are unspoiled and where nature abounds. For me, that is one of the reasons we are taking this trip-to appreciate the beauty of what this country has to offer.

The Catawba Valley


he said she's not typing for me, she is in the shower. today was another good day, not quite as scenic but still nice. pushed to get to Christianburg so i wouldn't have to stay in a bed and breakfast, which was all that was available at the last town before here. i'm gone before breakfast so i would have been staying at a b. We had showers again last night and it was really foggy so i didn't start until about 7:30. Cleared up late morning and was sunny the rest of the day. i have to buy an Audubon book so i can tell what these birds are down here , saw bluebirds and these yellow and black birds and a bunch of cardinals which i think might be the state bird. there are some big rocks around here that don't quite look real, kind of like hollywood rocks , but they are. with all the beautiful sights we are seeing , the best one i see is when sharon drives by and smiles. i wonder how long into this trip it will be before she drives by, smiles, and just keeps going. (i know she reads this) gonna go eat and find a bookstore. glad to hear everyone at home is doing good. 93 miles.



These are the route signs from the original Bikecentennial in 1976. They really help on all these back roads. Our maps are great with plenty of detail for all the turns, but it is reassuring when you see these and know you are on the right track. You don't want to ride any more than you have to each day.

This is now a bed and breakfast way out in the country. Circa 1740, it is in fantastic shape with all brick and stone everywhere.

I believe this is a train trestle, very narrow at the top. I actually rode under 2 of these today-the first one was a steel structure, with the supports in people's backyards. How would you like that to go overhead at night?

1 comment:

  1. You guys are awesome! There certainly is some beautiful country down there. When Jen and I drove down to Georgia a couple of years ago we thought it was gorgeous --- and that was mostly highways. Enjoy the scenery because at some point I'm sure that you'll be staring at either corn or cotton for days on end. Stay safe. Love always, Craig

    ReplyDelete