Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 7-Can't all be nice-but Troutdale is

He said: Finally got some bad weather during the day. Started raining about 9:15, and rained off and on until about 2. Farms turning from horses to cows. Not so picturesque today until we got closer to our destination. Had lunch with a fellow east to westerner, Matt Del Preore from NJ. He’s riding fully loaded, unlike some of us. I like being supported. Had to get my derailleur adjusted by Dean’s bike in Marion-thanks guys. The weather broke, the sun came out, and the day just got better and better. The ride up to Troutdale from Sugar Grove looked tough on the map, but it was ok. Stopped at Jerry’s Kitchen and Goods for dinner and supplies-it’s right down the street from the Baptist Church of Troutdale. Great home cooking, friendly people, everything you need at great prices, don’t miss it! The facilities provided by the Baptist Church are unbelievable. Clean bunk house with lights, pillows, cushions, supplies, terrific showers fully stocked with supplies and towels and a great view! Sat out on the porch, rocking and reading in complete quiet. No TV, no phone, just peace and quiet. No cell service here-definitely no phone. Tomorrow off to Council. We should be in Kentucky by Friday-our second state! Today we were close to North Carolina, tomorrow we will be close to Tennessee. 92.5 miles today.
She said: Worked for awhile in the morning and took off to find Paul. It started raining not long after I hit the road-got a call to watch for a turn onto 787 which I found out later Paul missed once and somehow got back on track. It didn’t have one of those helpful “76” signs. I made the turn and found the route easier than he did….too bad I was the one in the car! Found a breakfast place so Paul could get some bacon and eggs in the mid-morning. I stopped at the Visitor’s Center in Wytheville-had a nice chat with the 2 ladies working there and got our Virginia is for Lovers bumper stickers for free. Good deal. Met up with Paul and another biker for lunch. We parted ways and then met back up at the bike shop. Maybe we’ll cross paths with Matt again in our travels. We are staying at a terrific hostel in Troutdale-the Appalachian Trail goes right through here so hikers and bikers use the facilities-we’re here alone tonite though. It is very peaceful -enjoying the tranquility. Another beautiful day in the mountains.





The fog over the mountains





A real cow parade


Getting a tune-up
On the front porch of our home for the night



The view

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys,
    My trials and tribulations continue with this whole blog thing. I know I've gotten through before but just hit a stonewall this time -- I think. If you already got a comment similar to this one just ignore this one.
    With your getting lost and back tracking so much it seems as though you're doing twice the pedaling that you should have to be doing. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Having said that, when I play golf I use the whole course and some areas that aren't golf course so I really have no room to talk. The important thing is that you're having fun. Keep on truckin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys,
    Kim send me the link to your blog and I think it is incredible ! What an adventure. It reminds me of when Mindy and I were little and Gary went cross country and your parents kept track of it with thumb tacks on a map in his room. Good luck and I'm looking forward to following you all along the way !!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying following your journey. Stay safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete