Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 19-Onward to Missouri

He said: Yesterday started out hot and just got worse. Toughest day yet. I saw other riders along the way, and they looked like I felt. Went to a federal campground in the Shawnee National Forest, and the people running it made us feel right at home. If we wanted to go swimming in the Federal Lake we had to pay an additional $3.50 per person. We passed. Turned out for the best, got our tent set up, put the rain fly on, went and took showers. When we got out of the showers it was raining. The tent fly was a good news, bad news. It kept the rain out, but it kept the heat in. We went to sleep around 8:30, woke up at 10:30 and opened up the rain fly. I went right back to sleep, while Sharon read for a couple of hours. Don't have any trouble sleeping. Biggest change from Kentucky to Illinois, we are seeing Catholic Churches now. Baptists are still way ahead. For as many different churches as we have seen, there must be one for every family. Figured with the good nights rest I'd have a good day today. Got a good early start and made good time to Carbondale with one detour. First time I have stayed ahead of Sharon all day. With the steamy changing to humid, and a cloud cover for most of the morning, I had 63 miles by the time we ate lunch. More open fields with hay, than in Kentucky where everything was planted. I missed one picture I wanted to take. I was on a long stretch of pretty good rolling hills, when I came upon a sign that said "Hilly terrain". Duh! I took my camera out when I heard this voice on the side of the road saying "Hey, idiot, come here." I didn't see anybody at first (notice I knew it was talking to me). Then I realized, it was coming from the bull pen. He says "My name is Dick Radatz, and this is where I've been since I left the Sox." He's in his third life. I think he's moving up-I knew no one would believe this story, so I took a video. And that's no bull. 100 miles.
She said: I think the heat has gotten to Paul! It is no fun packing up a wet tent etc. We will have to make sure we check the weather forecast from now on when we decide to camp. Met up with Paul in Carbondale-home of Southern Illinois University. Had lunch, and Paul took off. I had my first Skype video meeting and then caught up with Paul in Wine Hill for the end of his day. We had to back track to Murphysboro to find a place to stay for the night, and he will start back again in Wine Hill tomorrow. We will go through Chester tomorrow (Popeye's home) and then into Missouri. We finished our 3rd map today, 9 to go!


"Anybody seen Don Zimmer lately?"

The view from Wine Hill-on a clear day, you really can see forever!

2 comments:

  1. Nobody is going to get health care just because you didn't want to pay to swim in the lake. If you pay attention you will see that the corn and soy beans turn to spinach the closer you get to Chester. Ug,Ug,Ug -- can't figure out how to spell how Popeye laughs. Great pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following you and fascinated by your impressions of so many places Jim and I have known. His folks lived on the Ohio river in southern Indiana. I remember lying on their dining room floor to get a breath of air, humid or not, when I was 9 months pregnant. Glad you're leaving the river valleys and all that heat.
    Drink plenty of water and stay well. Janet

    ReplyDelete