Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day35-Gets to come down!

He said: Clear dry air to start the day. Had to climb 2000' in about 11 miles-with about 1000' of it in the last 4 miles. It was about 38 degrees when I left, but I didn't know that, good thing. Left into a head wind going up hill. The town of Alma was about 6 miles away, and I stopped there to sit in the sun and wait for Sharon to go by. She came and we sat in the sun for about a half hour and I exchanged a light weight jacket for cold weather gear. I realize I am going to need some leg warmers and gloves as we will be above 7000' for much of the next few weeks. Left Alma and spun up the hill. Now that we are in the mountains and hills, whatever, the roads aren't straight anymore so you are guessing what's around the corner all the time. If you don't look at your odometer when you start, or when they have a sign that says how far to the summit, or your basic math is bad cause your brain is frozen and you have oxygen deprivation, you better just keep spinning. Eventually you get there. I did, and Sharon was waiting, and I don't know which site was more welcoming. By the time we got to the summit it had warmed up to a balmy 44, but the winds were still strong. While we were admiring the view, we took pictures of a couple from Boynton Beach, Fl. We don't go around taking pictures of people-it was with their camera for them. The photo op done, they scurried back to their car like crabs to the ocean. They said it doesn't get cold like this in Florida. The road did a U-turn, and around the curve the view was just gorgeous, with green sided mountains, streams along the road side, and panoramic views. I had a down hill coast through alot of S-turns and switchbacks for about 5 miles down into Breckenridge. It is in a gorgeous area, and as a result, it is a booming upscale resort area. Much different from the smaller former mining boom areas. Stopped in Breckenridge for an over-priced breakfast. Sharon went ahead 2 towns to Silverthorne while I continued on bike paths to the same destination. It is incredible how much more is spent and put in place for recreational opportunities in the area, even in the towns that would appear to be less fortunate. Part of the bike path went around a man made lake which is a reservoir that supplies water, via gravity, to the city of Denver. Changed up our routine of 6 days on, one day off so we could take advantage of the abundance of bike shops and outdoor activity in the area, combined with extraordinary scenery. We needed to do laundry cause it doesn't look like we'll be near creature comforts for awhile. Took care of all our "to-do's" today and tonite, so we can enjoy tomorrow. Sharon gets to ride because of the great bike paths. Trans-Am miles today was supposed to be around 36, somehow I managed to turn it into 50. I like to say I take the scenic route, Sharon likes to say I get lost. Oh, and Craig, I've started a trend. People all over the west are now wearing short white socks and flip and flops. 50 miles, one big hill.
She said: Well, it was a big day. Paul spun right over the Hoosier Pass-the highest point on the Transam route. It was pretty cool (literally and figuratively) sitting on the Continental Divide waiting for him to reach the summit. The views were terrific from there. I learned the Continental Divide separates the watersheds of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. It is a true line of demarcation. Any rain, snow or snow melt that falls on the west side will eventually end up in the Pacific, and any that falls on the east side will end up in the Atlantic. The road down from the pass was unbelievable, the views were breathtaking, and I was worried I might drive off the road because I was looking around too much. Met Paul in Breckenridge for breakfast, and then went on to Silverthorne. I was working in the library, and after awhile I started to wonder where Paul could be. I've gotten pretty good about figuring how long it should take for his rides based on the terrain, etc., and he was late. He finally arrived, and told me he was on the bike path to Vail. I won't say he got lost on the bike path-he did some extra site seeing! After taking care of odds and ends this afternoon, we took a ride to Breckenridge and spent a nice evening walking around town. Day off tomorrow-going for a ride on the bike path to Frisco and will ride around the reservoir.

At the summit

View across the street from the summit parking area.

Mountain view from Hoosier Pass

Here he comes!

All the way to the top.

Thumbs up Wakelys!

The trusty steed.

Now he gets to go down the mountain.

That's where we were.

They were doing construction on the road and the bike path. They had a flagger on the bike path! Had to stop to wait while they put the bridge in place. That's really why it took me so long.

3 comments:

  1. As long as your clothing trend stays out west I guesss it'll be OK. Leg warmers? Cowboy up for crying out loud! Are you gonna get a purple headband too? Nightmares of Flashdance! Scenery looks beautiful. I have to get out there at some point --- hopefully after the latest fashions resort to something dignified. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smiling as I read and cheering you on! What an awesome adventure to follow through your blog and pictures! Keep on truckin'...oops, bikin' and enjoy the downhill rides!! Love you guys!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You guys are on our side of the Rockies! We can't wait to see you out here. It's great to read about your adventures. Cheers, Rachel

    ReplyDelete